We wrapped up shooting this past Sunday. Some of it was a tight fit, and I’m a little nervous about the edit, but deadlines demand that we move on from production.
We spent the last day shooting outside, braving the freezing wind with periodic sprints to the car for lens changes and nutrigrain bars. Just five of us total that day to ensure that we could fit in the vehicle and move about easily. It was the least structured, least planned aspect of the script; which throws me in hot water but actually placed my DP where she felt most comfortable: making intuitive decisions in the moment. She definitely came through in that respect and I was counting on it.
The day before I walked the talent and AD through my annotations for the climactic scene, and not for the first time. We shot it last, and my exhaustion was both evident and necessary. The drive in the camera was being a fool and we did lose a couple of takes, but that’s the only loss of assets we experienced for our very first feature length film, and to be honest, I consider that I victory. I’m tremendously lucky to have worked on this project but it’s too early to celebrate. I have two and a half months to complete an edit, build a press kit and screen it. I’m optimistic that I was able to get this far, and I genuinely believe that anything is possible if it’s destined to happen.
I’m hosting a workshop on characterization this afternoon, and I’m up to my eyes in schoolwork. I couldn’t be more grateful for all the help that’s been offered to me in regards to this project, and to those who are invested in following my progress all along.